Consider Other Housemates When Watching Netflix on the same shared WiFi Connection
Did You Know! Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. Downloading and streaming consume a similar amount of data. If you are concerned with congested and slow broadband speeds during peak times in your student share, you can adjust your data usage settings by following the steps below.
- Adjust your data usage settings
1. Sign in to Netflix.com.
2. Select the profile you’d like to change your data usage settings for.
Data usage settings cannot be adjusted from a Kids profile.
3. Select Account.
4. Under My Profile, select Playback Settings.
5. Select your desired data usage setting (please note that each estimate below is per stream, and that restricting data usage may affect video quality):
- Low (0.3 GB per hour)
- Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour) – Best Choice to use!
- High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
- Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)
6. Select Save.
It may take up to 8 hours for these changes to take effect.
Data usage settings only apply to the Netflix profile you set them from, meaning you can have different data usage settings for each profile. If you are concerned about the total amount of data that Netflix uses, make sure to change this setting for each profile.
All information is sourced and shared to you by UNIPAD Student Housing Lancaster.